Friday, April 15, 2011

BHAIRAV BABA KE PREMMI LOG DOG LOVERS

Woof! City parades fancy breeds

Patna, Feb. 3: More and more people are developing a fascination for the furry bundle of joy with pricked or drooping ears, puffy paws and long tail, which eagerly waits to greet you at the door everyday.

Man’s best friend, dogs, are finding more takers than ever before in Patna.

Dr Vimal Kumar, veterinary surgeon and owner of a veterinary clinic, said: “I have been practising in Patna for more than four years and each year sees a tremendous rise in the number of dog lovers. It is growing at the rate of 400 per cent.”

“Initially, people preferred common breeds like Pomerarian, Labrador, German Shepherd and Dobermann but now people come to my clinic with breeds like Golden Retriever, Pug, Bull Mastiff, Boxer, Great Dane, Dalmatian and others. This clearly shows that people no longer have a stereotype taste,” said Kumar.

More than 15-20 clients visit his clinic with their pets every day. The clinic is open seven days a week and sells all possible dogcare products — from medicines, shampoo, soap, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, food supplements, dog accessories, blanket, sweaters and even beds.

The clinic provides modern facilities for treatment, including veterinary services, consultation, 24-hour emergency service, diagnosis, surgery, use of microscopic technology, pet nutrition counselling and others.

The clinic also provides dog boarding at the rate of Rs 350-Rs 400 a day where special care is taken keeping in mind the needs and habits of one’s pet.

People of different age groups have varied preferences for breeds. Kids prefer dogs, which are small, playful and easy to handle.

Young couples and senior citizens look for breeds, which are good as companions. Those who like to show off go for big dogs like St Bernard, Golden Retriever and others.

“People here know me as a dog lover, that is my only identity, I guess, though my passion includes collection of cars, computers and books too,” said Uttam Kumar Singh, owner of Dr Zakir Hussain Institute, who organises dog shows in Patna.

His institute is home to 22 stray dogs, each of them have a name.

There is a furious one and thus, called Sher Singh, one with spots is called Chitkabra and so on. They are provided with food and shelter at the home. Around Rs 30,000 to Rs 40,000 is spent on them each month.

They are fed thrice a day and have special kennels to sleep in. Best vets in town treat and vaccinate them regularly. Singh added: “Wherever I go, the dogs surround me and greet me with a lot of affection and respect. I don’t know what is so special about me. Right from my childhood, I had special love for them though my parents regarded them as untouchables and often scolded me for playing with them,” said the proud owner of four dogs, a 10-year-old stray dog, a Labrador, a Golden Retriever and a Pomerarian apart from the 22 inmates of his institute.

“Two of my dogs sleep with me in my bed and in summer, they all want to be in my air-conditioned cabin to beat the scorching heat,” Singh said.

His love is not restricted to just care and pat, he does his home work regularly and is also the proud owner of 5,000 books on animal care, mostly dealing in dogs and cats.

Every month, he subscribes to more than 10 magazines and catalogues on animals from around the world. In future, Singh plans to open a hospital.

Another dog lover, Lallan Singh (60), who owns a two-year-old German Shepherd, said: “My pet is like my son. He is my best companion. I can play with him, talk to him, love him. I don’t feel my son is away as I devote my full time to his care. I make sure I brush his hair everyday and feed him on time.”

His son, Rishi, an assis- tant commandant with the Border Security Force (BSF), gifted him the dog two years ago. He said: “I stay away from my parents and was often worried about their safety. So I thought of gifting them a sniffer dog who can guard and take care of them. Now, when I go home, I see my parents more worried and concerned about him than me.”

No comments: