Friday, April 15, 2011

Madhubani Paintings

Paintings get new life, become style statement
- Youth, elite, professionals and foreigners lap up kurtas, saris, scrolls adorned with Madhubani art

Patna, Nov. 25: Madhubani painting has always been a treasured art form of the state since time immemorial. Recently, the demand for Madhubani paintings and work has gone up in the capital.

Madhubani paintings have become the preferred item among the art lovers and common masses in the capital. The demand has also picked up because more and more youths are showing interest in the art form.

Not only are they enrolling themselves in Madhubani painting classes but are also buying kurtas designed with Madhubani painting.

Anita Ranjan, a lawyer, has been busy choosing Madhubani paintings for her new house. She said: “I am planning to decorate my house with Madhubani paintings because I think it will lend my house a different look.” She added: “I have already purchased around 10 paintings in different shapes, size and colours. I think, I need 10 more to deck up my home.”

The paintings that were earlier depicted on walls and floors, has seen a rise in demand in the recent years both at the national and international market because of its charismatic value.

With rising demands, artistes have been producing the traditional paintings on handmade paper and fabrics for commercial sale. Various government agencies and non-profit organisations are actively involved in creating a good market for the artistes for whom this art is the primary source of income.

Anand Kumar’s shop at Maurya Lok Complex is filled with Madhubani paintings on different types of fabric of various shapes and sizes. He said: “Women across all sections buy Madhubani paintings to decorate their houses or as a gift item. The youngsters are also very interested in our products. They visit the shop and ask for kurtas and saris designed with Madhubani paintings.”

Kumar said the price of the paintings depends on the design and the fabric on which the painting is done. While Madhubani painting on a cotton kurtacosts around Rs 700 to Rs 900, silk kurtas cost around Rs 1,800 to Rs 2,000. Paintings made on A4 size of hand made paper costs between Rs 300 and Rs 500, while the silk saris cost around Rs 1,200.

Sikha Saran, a final-year college student, said: “I love to buy kurtas with Madhubani designs. The kurtas are very different and makes me a trendsetter among my peers. I always save up my pocket money every month so that I can buy something designed with Madhubani paintings.”

Anuragini Verma of Bihar Emporium said: “In the past two to three years, our sale in Madhubani paintings has increased by 5 per cent. We make a sale of up to Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 3 lakh every month.”

Vibha Rani, a content writer, is a native of Madhubani but is based in Mumbai. She said: “Whenever I go to Bihar, I make it a point to buy at least two Madhubani paintings depending on my budget. Mostly, I gift the paintings to my friends on special occasions. I feel proud that I belong to this place the art of which is not only loved by the people of India but also the world over.”

Foreigners are interested in the art form as well. A German national, Helga said: “I love these paintings. Their design is most unique and I love the bright colours that are used in the paintings. It is extremely hard to believe that the paintings are hand-made. I have bought quite a few paintings to take back with me. I will gift the paintings to my friends. What can be better for them than these beautiful masterpieces?”

The demand for the art form has also caught up with the railways as many of the AC coaches of trains in Bihar are decorated with Madhubani paintings.

No comments: