Friday, April 15, 2011

snack that inspires away from home

Patna, Oct. 7: Litti-chokha is to Bihar whatvada-pav is to Maharashtra; it’s a part of the state’s identity.

Even the mention of litti-chokha can make you nostalgic if you are a Bihari staying away from the state.

It occupies special place in their heart of people from Bihar whether residing in the state or any foreign country.

During monsoon, people prefer to have littiwith tea. It’s a preparation of sattu ((roasted gram powder), green chillies, garlic, ginger, salt, mustard oil stuffed in dough and then baked in earthen stoves with the help of cow dung cakes.

Despite LPG connections and microwaves, people prefer to bake litti in earthen stoves to get that “earthy taste”.

Chokha is prepared by mixing boiled potatoes, baked brinjal and tomatoes with green chillies, garlic, salt and mustard oil.

Litti-chokha isn’t just a healthy diet but also a symbol of economic equality. In Patna, one can easily spot labourers, workers, teenagers, office-goers, even big businessmen and corporate executives relishing their plateful of litti-chokha by the roadside. There exists no polarisation as all cherish litti-chokha under one umbrella.

Rakesh Kumar, an executive in a bank in Patna, said: “I often go to Maurya Lok’s Litti Corner during my lunch hours to eat litti-chokha. It is not only tasty but also quite cheap, Rs 15 per plate.”

At the same shop, you can also spot Ram Parwesh, a rickshaw puller, enjoying litti. He loves the litti-chokha served at the shop and makes it a point to visit every time he brings a customer to Maurya Lok.

Ruchi Ranjan, an NRI, who shifted to the US a decade ago, misses her favourite snack. Whenever she comes to Bihar, she makes sure she packs up as many packets of sattu as her luggage would allow.

She said: “I often make litti-chokha and invite my Indian and American friends for lunch or dinner. Since I cannot find cow dung cakes in the US, I prepare littiin microwave. The taste is not as good as what my mom use to make, but it is delicious nevertheless.”

Vishal Sinha, a businessman in Mumbai and a native of Bihar, got emotional while talking about littti-chokha. He said: “Litti-chokha when combined with ghee (purified butter) is the best food one can ever ask for. Even in Mumbai I ask my maid, who is fortunately a Bihari, to make litti every week. I also invite my friends at times and they all love litti-chokha.”

Rudrani Sinha, a yoga instructor living in Delhi, said: “I simply love litti-chokha. It is delicious and not at all high on calories. It is also easier to carry. Whenever I travel with my family, I always pack lots of litti for my journey.”

Litti-chokha is a must on the New-Year party menu. We organise a get together and relish litti-chokha. It’s also a way of feeling connected to our native state — Bihar,” added Rudrani.

No comments: